Pages

7/22/09

An Ecumenical Calling

Over the past year, I have intensely studied the tenets of Catholicism. I accomplished this primarily through the reading of texts dealing with Catholic apologetics. And as I have said previously - this journey has been thrilling.

I believe that apologetics are so important, as they can illuminate different ways of understanding certain scripture or tradition. However, I also believe that one does need to be careful of overindulging in apologetics. Thankfully, there was a natural movement for me from apologetics to "the most thrilling part of this whole journey" - that of cracking open the Bible, and reading through the scripture from a Catholic perspective, and learning things about Jesus, the Apostles, and Mary that I never saw before.

Somehow these things were never emphasized for me, OR I just missed them. But in the Catholic tradition, I found Jesus Christ in a way that really spoke volumes to me. The Biblical texts that I came across were so convincing and convicting, that despite those in my family that sulked regarding this decision to become Catholic- I had a strong inner assurance that there was no other position for me to take.

Year 1 has naturally flowed into Year 2 of continued study -and recently I am focusing more on readings that have to do with ecumenical work and dialouge.

If you have closely followed my blog - then I suspect you may recall that I took the name of "Maria Elisabeth," for my confirmation name, after Maria Elisabeth Hesselbled. I am currently finishing up a book called "The Most Extraordinary Woman in Rome" based on her life. As a convert from Lutheranism to Catholicism - ecumenical work was high on her priority list. In her writings she wrote:
We must nourish a great love for God and our neighbors; a strong love, an ardent love, a love that burns away imperfections, a love that gently bears an act of impatience, or a bitter word, a love that lets an inadvertence or act of neglect pass without comment, a love that lends itself readily to an act of charity.~Blessed Maria Elisabeth Hesselblad
Her ecumenical spirit resulted in turning her convents into guesthouses open to all faiths, special prayers for unity in the body of Christ, interreligious meetings, a willingness to start convents abroad in places such as India, and in assisting Jews during the Holocaust. One Jewish family that sought refuge in her convent spoke these words about her:
"Mother Elisabetta restored our full dignity, welcoming us and totally respecting our life and religion."
~Piero Piperno
Today, Mother Elisabeth's order continues her work and legacy. This wonderfully strong woman has definitely been inspiring me recently.

Another ecumenical type book I have been reading recently is "Rediscovering Mary: Insights from the Gospels" by Tina Beattie. I discovered this book, and a handful of other Catholic books at a used book store in Boston while on my recent trip. As a recent convert to Catholicism, I am still in the process of discovering the possibilities for a close relationship/devotion to Mary, and thought this book may come in handy. The author, also a convert to Catholicism, highlights many interesting ways to understand Mary and her activity in scripture. Respecting Mary is something that I think many Protestant brothers and sisters could find common ground on.

Finding an appropriate way to dialouge with those that have opposite views is so important. My friend Dawn Eden (author of The Thrill of the Chaste), recently co-wrote an article for Busted Halo entitled, "Catholics and the Culture of Hate" - which is primarily about Catholic vs Catholic dialouge on heated topics within Catholicism - and recommends charity in interactions and dialouge. I believe that ecumenical dialouge calls for this same charity - if not more.

Although I have been reassured on a daily basis of my decision to become Catholic - I definitely could have shown more charity to others during my initial passionate interactions on the topic of Catholicism. Luckily, my family has been very patient and kind towards any of my failings when I initially dialouged with them on these matters.

Speaking of common ground and ecumenicism - I came across samples of a wonderful DVD entitled "Common Ground: What Protestants and Catholics Can Learn from Each Other" that I hope to order ASAP. These following snippets are wonderful and I can't wait to watch the entire dialouge. This conversation, between a preist and protestant minister, has been applauded by many for the graciousness of both men to listen and try and understand where the other is coming from - without watering down the truth.


No comments: