Pages

7/22/09

Sisters of St. Birgitta

I recently took a trip north to visit some friends over the July 4th weekend in Boston.

Along the way - I stopped in Darien, Connecticut to visit with the Sisters of St. Birgitta - also known as the Order of the Most Holy Savior of Saint Bridget - whose foundress, Blessed Maria Elisabeth Hesselbled - I had taken as my confirmation name.

After taking the decision to use Maria Elisabeth for my confirmation name - I searched and found that there was one convent in the U.S. and it happened to be about 5 minutes from my close friend's home in Stamford, CT.

I emailed the Sisters and recieved a friendly reply. Their correspondence and encouragement continued throughout my RCIA process, and these nuns, who wear a most interesting habit, sent me a wonderful confirmation gift including a beautiful rosary.


I wasn't sure what to expect as I set off to reach them in Darien. As I got closer - I did get pretty excited to meet them. There are currently 6 sisters living there, 3 from Mexico, and 3 from India. They were very warm and friendly - and I was happy to have a chance to speak with almost all of them.

The convent which functions as a guest house (in fulfilling their charism of hospitality & ecumenical work) is a beautiful Victorian mansion that overlooks the Long Island sound. Attached to the side of the house is a wonderful chapel where daily mass and prayers go on. They have a retired monsignor that lives there and provides the daily mass - Rev. Msgr. Robert McCormick (he used to be the Catholic Chaplain at West Point). Many locals attend daily/weekly mass there.

If one is thinking about a vocation to the religious life of a Sister - please consider this order - and read more about them at their websites. And if you live in the NYC metro area or will be traveling to the NYC metro area - I can give an excellent recommendation for the Convent of St. Birgitta. It is also a great place for a personal or group retreat!

2 comments:

grotto said...

these are especially good dedicated holy nuns

Number 9 said...

They're beautiful, thank you!